Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Teen Writers' Conference 2009

The start of June marked the first annual Teen Writers' Connference. I was able to go and loved every minute of it. Starting at 10 am, I took several different classes on many different things including using humor, creating lovable characters, creating story worlds, and critique. I got lots of good direction for further writing, not to mention had the chance to hang out with some of my absolute FAVORITE authors. The class that Jessica Day George gave (creating story worlds) was so much fun and so funny. She has a fantastic sense of humor.
Not only did I get to hang out with them, I also got to meet a few. Well, sort of. There was a small book stand where you could get books by some of the authors there. I bought two books by Jessica Day George (I love her! She's fantastic!) and a book called Bone Warriors by Bron Bauhlman. He's 15!! How cool is that!!!!
After all the classes were over, they announced the winners of the writing contest, which I had entered. There was one honorable mention and six places after that. One by one, the chair person announce the winner and the piece that won them the price. They had said that the winners had been within a point of two of each other. As the winners were called out, I listened intently. That was when I heard it. "In second place, Tawnni Jensen for Fled." I did not expect to win that. I got a $25 gift card for AMC theaters (anybody know where that is?) and a $50 visa girft card (sweetness!!)
Finally to end it all, their was the signing. I started that off by racing to have Jessica Day George sign the two books of hers I got, and ended up leaving skid trails on the floor. Then I had Bron Bauhlmon sign my copy of Bone Warriors. After that, I hung around just a second longer then headed for the ol' homestead. I can't wait for next year's conference.
And one more thing, I got the e-mail address of one of the authors that was there, C. S. Besaz. You thought I was going to say Lewis weren't you? Anyway, she's also a a creativity coach. I e-mailed her recently about a story idea I had and I'm kind of expecting that she's going to want to see what I have of it at the next conference. Time to buckle down and get to work. As soon as I get over the strange urge I have at the moment to read Sherlock Holmes books.

No comments: