Tuesday, April 6, 2010

You're gonna survive editing

Ah, editing. A time of rethinking, redoing, second guessing, and, of course, the occational mental breakdown. Yes, there's nothing like reading something you wrote several months ago (sometimes longer) and saying "Did I seriously write that?!" Editing to some, myself included, is a long and annoying process, but it must be done. You can do it yourself, have a trusted friend do it, or hire a professional editor. A few tips for you do-it-yourself types:

-Be sure to keep an eye out for types. Read slowly since they can be easily passed over.

-Get more than one opinion. Just because you think something is fine or needs to be redone doesn't mean others will have the same point of view.

-Find ways to cope with the stress of reading and rereading. Take part in stress relieving activies between editing sessions.

-Don't be afraid to stop, step away from the red pen and manuscript, and get some fresh air, watch a movie, read a book, go for a walk, or anything else you like to do. It'll leave you revived and recharged, ready to start again.

-Remember that what you're doing is going to help you grow and flurish as a writer.

Don't get discouraged. You may not get a passage right the first time, or the second, or the third, but you'll get it. Don'g let the editing blues get you down; find the silver lining in the red pen laden portion of the novel writing journey. Keep your chin up. Each red mark you put on that paper brings you one step closer to the finish line. Happy Writing! And editing too!

P.S.-- This is a little reminder for all you readers out there that James Dashner's new book "The 13th Reality: The Blade of Shattered Hope" comes out tomorrow.

P.S.S.-- Coming soon is my review of "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card

2 comments:

Mary Gray said...

I'm so glad you made this list. I'm suffering from the editing blues this very second!! I love how you say to walk away (I'm up late--I probably just need some sleep) and to get more than one opinion. I just had someone say some things about my manuscript and now I'm rethinking why I gave it to her. She doesn't read my genre--but she's experienced and talented--so I'm trying to weigh her opinion.

Again, great post.

Mary E Campbell said...

Sorry I didn't comment on this sooner. All good tips Tawnni. Can't wait to read it the results of all the hard work you've put in. Also look forward to reading your review of Ender's Game.