Monday, October 12, 2009

Nathan Bransford's 1st Paragraph Contest

Literary Agent Nathan Bransford is holding another 1st paragraph contest. You can find his blog here.  
I entered mine just for fun.  My WIP is far from done, but I like my first chapter.


This is a paragraph from my novel with the working title "The Shrouded Star."  Let me know what you think.



In a certain kingdom, in a certain realm, on the eve of the Nahe'dra rising, a cloud of smoke whisked across the night sky beneath a crescent moon. Black piercing eyes searched the inward curves of snow covered alps. Sharp teeth appeared as lips parted in a fearsome grin. Abruptly the cloud descended into the uninhabited depths of a dark forest. Twigs snapped and leaves rustled as a fierce wind swept through the trees.
       “She has arrived at last,” a voice whispered in the darkness.
       “Why is she making so much noise? It's enough to wake the dead,” whispered another.
       “Maybe that's the idea.”



6 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

O
*high five*
I dig!
*fingers crossed*
I hope you win!

GhostFolk.com said...

Absolutely wonderful... which is why I clicked over here from Nathan's page to see who you are. :-)

Mary E Campbell said...

JuJu - I dig you *high five*

GhostFolk.com said...

Hey, Mary, I just caught up with your posts at myblog. Thanks for saying hi.

I got a kick out of the fact you thought my "entry" over there was fun. I did too.

But, I deleted the ones I sent in because, yes, I was trying to be funny... and I realized that wasn't fair to Nathan, nor to the terrifically good writers (like yourself) who were entering the contest.

Trust me, you're in the running. :-)

Diana Paz said...

Oh yes, this is definitely ready. Everything is clear and vivid in my mind. Love it, love it, love it!

Alaina Evans said...

Mary-
Absolutely love it! You are shooting for the stars girl. I can't wait to look up and see you there!