Monday, January 11, 2010

The Smell of Rain

Look what I found in the back of my computer! I write a lot of poetry along with my other projects and this one is one of my favorites. I got into my school's literary magazine with this one last year, which was so cool to be able to do that as a sophomore. I've always loved rain and this peticular poem, along with a few others to be posted later, holds a special place in my heart. Enjoy.

Dark clouds envelope once starless skies
The hiss of the storm in the wind as it flies

Lightning shatters the ink splattered night
And midnight carries chill with its flight

Endless rain tumbles to a final resting place
Thunder echoes rhythmically through an almost endless space

Storm clouds billow like great black sails
The wind whispers gently like the brush of bluebird tails

White strokes of lightning paint stripes in the dark
And midnight flies on the wings of a meadowlark

But the rain, the rain, that sweet silver thread
Tearful pearls streaking down my head

The smell of rain as it hits the ground
The rumble of thunder, oh sweet the sound

The way the lightning seems to dance
The way the twisting wind enchants

But the smell of rain is what I wait for
Why I spend those days by my front door

The reason I sit by that open window pane
Just to catch the smell of rain

No comments: